The course is predominantly practical, aimed at individuals who are keen sportsmen or women with an interest in a career in the sport or leisure industry. The study of sport links directly to the way that we live our lives today. It is a growing industry in the UK and will give learners the opportunity to enter employment in the sport and active leisure sector.
This practical course gives you the opportunity to complete assignments and activities based on realistic situations linked to working in the Sport and Leisure industry. It will give you a good feel for what it will be like to work in the industry as well as developing your practical, communication, ICT, time-management and teamwork skills.
What is this course about?
There is the opportunity to cover several topics relating to Sport and Physical Education. Many of these topics have practical elements. The course consists of the following units:
Health and Fitness for Sport and Exercise unit aims:
- Know about the components of fitness and the principles of training;
- Explore different fitness training methods;
- Investigate fitness testing to determine fitness levels.
Practical Sports Performance unit aims:
- Understand the rules, regulations and scoring systems for selected sports;
- Practically demonstrate skills, techniques and tactics in selected sports;
- Be able to review sports performance.
Training for Personal Fitness unit aims:
- Design a personal fitness training programme;
- Know about strategies / tactics for continued training success;
- Implement a self-designed personal fitness training programme to achieve own goals and objectives ;
- Review a personal fitness training programme.
Leading Sports Activities unit aims:
- Know the attributes associated with successful sports leadership;
- Undertake the planning and leading of sports activities;
- Review the planning and leading of sports activities.
How is it assessed?
Candidates are assessed through regular assignment tasks. Candidates have to complete each pass level activity before moving onto merit and distinction level activities. The final grade will be a pass, merit or distinction. This is the equivalent to one GCSE at least at Grade C for the pass. The qualification is mainly coursework based – there is one formal examination. It is therefore vital that students meet the challenging coursework deadlines.
What can I do once I complete the course?
On successful completion of this award students have a qualification which is the equivalent of 1 GCSE. The course provides the student with opportunities to develop ‘work ready’ skills alongside the specific knowledge gained from each unit. Students will therefore have a qualification which will help them seek employment in the sport and leisure industry and beyond.
Qualification: BTEC Level 2 First Award in Sport (QCF)
Code: BTECH 500/7658/9